TRAVEL ADVICE: Chiltern railways issues advice for Easter
Chiltern railways train
Chiltern Railways are advising customers travelling over the Easter bank holiday weekend that the railway will be closed between Banbury and Bicester North. As a result, all trains between Birmingham Moor Street and London Marylebone will be diverted between Haddenham and Thame and Banbury, resulting in longer journey times.
Most journeys will be affected and customers may need to travel via alternative/diverted routes, use other operators or use rail replacement buses to reach their destination.
Passengers travelling between Marylebone, Banbury and stations to Birmingham should travel on the diverted Birmingham trains. Buses will replace trains between Bicester North – Kings Sutton – Banbury and between Warwick Parkway – Hatton – Lapworth – Dorridge.
A limited train service will operate between:
- Marylebone - stations to Birmingham Moor Street (diverted via an alternative route between Haddenham & Thame Parkway and Banbury).
- Marylebone - stations to Oxford.
- Marylebone - stations to Bicester North.
- Princes Risborough - stations to Aylesbury.
- Leamington Spa - stations to Stratford Upon Avon.
- Marylebone - stations to Aylesbury Vale Parkway (via Amersham).
This work forms part of Britain’s Railway Upgrade Plan and includes Network Rail work to create two new underpasses as well as track replacement work.
Customers are reminded that they should follow government guidance on travel and wear face coverings on public transport and at stations unless exempt.
Customers who do need to travel are advised to:
- Allow extra time for their journey,
- Travel during off-peak hours where possible,
- Book tickets via the website or Chiltern App and use contactless payments wherever possible,
- Check their journey before travelling as most journeys will be affected,
- Maintain social distancing onboard trains and at stations
- Regularly wash their hands before and after their journey.
Watch the channel on TV