FULL BODY SEARCHES: Nightclub hit by ‘stabbings’ can reopen
Entrance to Bambu nightclub, Image: Google Maps
A Birmingham city centre nightclub can open again following two reported stabbings – but must enforce full body searches and metal detection.
A long-term decision about Bambu’s licence is still yet to be made by Birmingham city councillors – with a licensing sub-committee review hearing scheduled for October 8.
Following a meeting held on October 1, councillors overturned a suspension of the licence of the Wrottesley St venue following a “large fight” in the early hours of September 11.
A number of extra conditions have been put in place which were previously agreed by the club and police.
The extra conditions include:
- The premises will have a No ID, No Entry rule
- Anyone entering the premises will be subject to a full body search and metal detection
- A working bleed kit will be available
- No one will be allowed entry to the premises after 3am, save for re-entry for
those who were on the premises before 3am
- The licence holder will consult with police when they intend to vary the designated premises supervisor (DPS) or change the company that provides door security at the premises
- There is a reduction in hours agreed from 6am on Friday and Saturday for alcohol, entertainment and refreshment to 4am for the sale of alcohol and 4.30am for regulated entertainment and late night refreshment
A new DPS is proposed to be put in place.
Duncan Craig, representing the venue, had disagreed with a number of points about West Midlands Police’s account of events at the previous meeting on September 15.
He repeated these points at Friday’s hearing, but stated the police investigation since has been “very fair”.
Mr Craig said: “We wouldn’t be sat here now in the position we are now with the police if the police hadn’t formed a view that what was in the original review application did not perhaps present the full picture.
“The application to suspend the licence was not opposed by the licence holder because they recognised everybody needed to take a step back and try and evaluate what had happened.
“This is some time after that – we have not rushed into this.”
Mark Swallow of West Midlands Police said: “Obviously this is a very serious incident. Two people were stabbed on the morning of September 11.
“That resulted in the interim steps being put into place on September 15, those being the right steps at that time to be put in place.
“However, that hiatus has allowed us in the interim to look more closely into what happened and why it happened.”
He said he accepted the premises contacted the police on the night – which had not been accepted by police at the last hearing.
He said the conditions suggested would be a “proportionate” method of making sure the incident does not happen again.
A full review hearing will be held on October 8 from 10am and can be viewed on the city council’s YouTube page.
Words: Mark Cardwell, Local Democracy Reporter
Watch the channel on TV